View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 12:28 AM

Those who have done an MMO cylinder soak

Hey guys,

So my engine in my '84 300D has 150K on it, starts right away, good power, all seems pretty solid. Haven't ever gotten compression #'s on it. It has a bit of blow by, which I don't let bother me nowadays.

Anyway, I will be getting new injectors soon, and I had planned that when I got the new injectors and had them out, I would do a Marvel Mystery Oil soak in the cylinders. I've read a lot about people doing it, especially on here. Some have seen some decent improvement, some not much. Haven't read about any adverse effects of it yet.

I don't mind the car being down for a week, I was planning to do other stuff on it while it sat. However, in all the reading I did on it, I could not find a specific instructional procedure, so I was hoping to find at least one person who's done it and can answer some questions.

1. How much MMO do you use per cylinder? I want to say I read 1/4 cup, but I can't find where I read that.

2. I remember reading you have to turn the engine every so often. When they say turn, do they mean turn it over a couple times with the starter? Or like using a wrench to rotate the engine by hand?

3. How many rotations roughly should I do, and how often?

4. Once the week(5 or 7 days?) has gone by, and I'm ready to start the engine, do I need to try and suck the MMO out of the cylinders with a hand pump or something, or do I just start the car? I want to avoid some kind of hydro lock obviously.

I think that covers everything. Also, if anyone who has done this has anything they feel I should know, feel free to throw it in.

Thanks!