View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 08:22 AM

Spending $45k on a 6.3 is at the absolute top of the market. Having bought one with a good friend, and then having him buy me out, I've found that they are insanely expensive to keep going. And I thought my 1969 Porsche 911 was pricey.

The engines are durable as heck. Suspension (anything chassis-related) are very expensive to get as parts - not sure if you have the skills/tools to put those items on. Rust is a killer, but a $45k 6.3 should be fully restored and all rust should have been treated. The problem with buying a fully restored car is that you don't know who did the work and how good he might have been. You can bury a lot of bad shortcuts in a restoration, and unless you're a 6.3 genius, you probably won't catch 25% of them.

"Expected price development"? That's a new phrase. The price is going up on them, but if you buy a $45k 6.3, I'd expect to lose a lot of money immediately if you wanted to sell it in the US.

I love the 6.3s; they're amazing anamolies. Very fun to drive. Very fun to listen to. But if you want one and you're willing to buy a good one to help defray the time/expense of fixing all the things that should have been fixed, you need to search The Star, the 6.3 community, and national ads for a $25k 6.3 that was loved and now just needs a good home. You'll be WAY better off.

1989 500SEL Euro
1966 250SE Cabriolet
1958 BMW Isetta 600