View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 01:19 PM
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC

redneck improvisation on rear wagon brakes...

yup. my pads wore down to the steel... and I've upgraded my wagon's rear brakes to 95 vented rotors... NONE of my parts cars have the same size pads... NONE of the stores in my area have the correct size pads for this car... one store had what they claimed to be the right ones, but alas... no.
anyway, the rear pads in the 93 300D fit in the slot, but were 10mm shorter... and they would not mount in the place, but they would fit... the holes for the pins to retain them were not aligned, so I could not use the pins to hold the spring and pads in...

the holes were close, but not close enough to fit the pins all the way through... so... um...

WARNING!!! THE FOLLOWING IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION FOR REPAIRS... DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

coat hanger?

two layers of coat hanger?

sure, why not...

I mean it's JUST going in there long enough to get me home... only about 15 miles nearly all highway after 10PM... noworries right?

I made it home, to the dealer in the morning, to the parts house that had the pads a bit later on, and to the transmission shop to pop the car up on a lift and properly mount the new pads.

New autozoo pad that did not fit, original pad from the 95 rotors, 93 D pad....

first attempt with coat hangers on bottom, and pin on top... not quite seated... I decided the pin would fall out, leaving only the bottom holding the spring in...

car up on lift at the shop getting ready to cut the coat hangers out...

as far as I can tell, there was no wear on the coat hanger from the drive. the yellow coating was still intact all the way around the wire...

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!