View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Silver Eagle

Here in Missouri they encourage you to drive older ones.

You need a 12 dollar inspection once every 2 years and registration costs 24.50. Oh and we also have a personal property tax. Which is probably another 40. I won't know until next year. Cars are taxed according to their value, It is the reason that we drive older ones.
My motorcycles are kind of similar except that I have antique plates and don't need a renewal and have to keep a log book.

Unfortunately the solution to your problem is entirely political. I remember seeing the cars lined up for disposal during the cash for clunkers program. It made me sick to see some real nice cars having the engines ingest sand filled oil pans so they would be scrapped. Now to think that same bozo is back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
Is the end in sight?

Here in Holland the government were considering the scrapping of the road tax exemption for "classic cars".

As an old diesel car owner that would have meant that at today's rates of tax (for a diesel car weighing what a W123 weighs in the province where I live) I'd have to pay one thousand four hundred and thirty two (1432) euros a year in road tax.

Needless to say that got a few people's backsides twitching over here as some people - like many on this forum - just happen to own more than one classic; well you have to don't you it is all about redundancy!

Anyway after a lot of hot air and finger pointing the government here has settle on the introduction of a similar system to Germany where old "polluting" cars are no longer allowed to be driven in certain areas (like city centres).

It seems as though that this is a start of a trend of the outright banning of old cars. Any thoughts on this?

Is it time to consider a diesel-electric hybrid conversion (again)?
Iseki Diesel

In 2007 I didn't own a diesel.