View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 11:39 AM

For comparison, when I bought a used engine for my 85 300D 6 months ago off craigslist, it came with everything but pwr steering pump and air cleaner assembly (still need). It even included the exhaust down-pipe, which I needed since not my CA model with the special manifolds. They even threw in the starter, which I have seen people ask $100 used. Not bad for $300. This was a very small shop that got it via PickNPull. I ran it on the ground for a minute and no blowby with the PCV off. The cam even looks new, peering in the oil fill. Now in the car and another few days of hookups and I should be driving the car again.

They are starting to hit the junkyards big-time, so parts are no longer priced like gold. Last time I was at PickNPull, I saw at least three 300D's and was able to upgrade my headlamp doors and such for a few dollars. Of course, every transaction is different. In my experience, parts for 40 yr old cars are about the cheapest. For my 60's Mopars, I buy many parts new in the box for amazingly low prices as they are discontinued or bought in lots as shops close. There is a lot of stuff still in warehouses. If you search PN's, you can often find it on ebay.