View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silber Adler View Post
I brought my issue up as I wonder if my lift pump is up to snuff. I thought it to be similar to Mcsedes' problem. Scanty or no output of the the aux. pump.

Do I (Does he) need to install a pressure gauge on the output of lift pump. Or can we measure the output of the cigar hose?

I have done some research and read that a 1.5l idi Citroen puts out about 17.5liters/hour out of the return line at idle. That is about 300 ml per minute. Certainly not a 3 liter mercedes but it is a data point.
I PMed a source of infomation.

In the case of the Fuel Supply/Lift Pump you have to fabricate something to hook up a Gauge on the Liftt Pump and when you do even with a Liquid Filled Gauge the Needle bounces around considerably making it hard to get a reading.
On the 617 type Lift Pumps this makes it easier just to remove the Lift Pump and take a look insde to see if the Piston is stuck or badly scored up or if the Spring is broken.
Along with that you can purchase the Valve Kit and scrounge up the 5mm O-ring that does not come in the kit and rebuild the Pump.
The Kit when Fastlane supplied it was less than $20 and can also be had at the Mercedes Dealer (remember the kit has no O-ring in it for the little PLunger the Lift pump).

It may be that simply cleaning the Valve Area would help.

There is several rebuild threads on the 617 type lift pumps and 2 on the 603,606 type Lift Pumps (kits cost more for these).

Note: The Gasket between the Pump and IP does not come in the kit either.

In short rebuilding the 617 type Lift Pumps is easier than Trouble shooting them.

A leaking Hand Primer should be repaced by a Real Bosch one.
Attached Thumbnails
IP Issue? (please help)-zaw-lift-pump-valves-nov-12.jpg   IP Issue? (please help)-lift-pump-nov-12.jpg  

Last edited by Diesel911; 11-20-2012 at 08:46 PM.