Thread: VVO Cost:
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 04:47 PM
|3iodiesel300T|)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
Not quite. No matter the fuel, there will always be heavy ends that don't burn so well leaving carbon / gum.

The other issue with running homemade veg is that one is avoiding road use tax and that is tax evasion. ( Unless taxes are being paid to the proper agencies ) Now, some will say that they are free to drive where they want to go and I agree, just don't use roads paid for by other road users.
I get really tired of the road tax argument. I have a Jetta that gets 42mpg, and a 240 that gets 28mpg. I pay more road tax for my 240 than I do for my Jetta, simply because my 240 uses more fuel to go the same distance. Does my 240 do more damage to the roads than my Jetta? I highly doubt it. A completely electric vehicle pays no fuel tax, and a Prius pays even less than my Jetta in fuel tax. Why is this acceptable? A gas Jetta pays more in road taxes than a diesel Jetta, because of lower mpg's. How come this is okay? Its the exact same car with a different power plant. I'm all for the drivers paying for the use and maintenance of the roads, but basing it on fuel use really isn't the best way to do this. I also feel that the tiny percentage of people running VO or making their own Biodiesel aren't going to change the amount of money the feds and the states see in fuel tax money. Something like 1% of the passenger vehicles in the US are diesel, and I would guess that less than 1% of those are being run on VO or homebrew biodiesel. Also in many states the laws have made VO and homebrew bio exempt from fuel taxes, or have setup forms you can fill out to pay the road taxes.
'77 300D ~ Sold