View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Not Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadco View Post
So my 82 300 TDT with 280,000 was starting to really need cranking to get it to start when cold (below 60F). Once it started it runs and starts all day. The longer I neglected it the worse it got. I then started to prime it with the pump. That seemed to work a few times. I replaced all the small injector return lines. I replaced the prime pump with a new one. I even put a electric pump before the one on the injector to help prime it. All glow plugs are good and getting power. It will start and run good if it is about 70F (but sometimes idles a little rough). I do not have a block heater and never needed one before. Where should I look for my trouble?

Tony
Try parking your car facing down hill with a full tank of diesel & see if there is an improvement. I realize its a wagon, but I have found it works if the hill is steep enough. If it makes no difference then its probably not an air leak.
Have you set your valves recently? Tight valves will make for hard starting when cold. Rough idle is likely to be caused by tight valves.
Have you removed your GP's & checked that they do glow?

I no longer question authority, I annoy authority. More effect, less effort....

1967 230-6 auto parts car. rust bucket.
1980 300D now parts car 800k miles
1984 300D 500k miles
1987 250td 160k miles English import
2001 jeep turbo diesel 130k miles
1998 jeep tdi ~ followed me home. Needs a turbo.
1968 Ford F750 truck. 6-354 diesel conversion.
Other toys ~J.D.,Cat & GM ~ mainly earth moving