View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
Perhaps another dimension of confusion is that the FSM uses the term RIV in each of the titles of the three chapters to which I referred?

As far as I can make out the additional bit of expensive equipment is a glorified tachometer that also monitors the position of the IP. There is a section in chapter 07-010 going on about RIV which means "Reference Impulse Verification" apparently.

In all of these RIV tests they seem to depend upon the IP being set up correctly in the first place. Much like the lug on the front of the crankshaft {that is used by the tachometer} another lug is fitted to the IP governor. This box of tricks just calculates the "chronological distance between the two pulses" (see chapter 07 - 010 again). So it is possible, for example in the situation of wear or poor adjustment, for begin of delivery to be happening at a different time - no matter what them there lights of the box of tricks says.

A "point of release" measurement seems to me to be a more desirable method of measuring.
Yes, the A&B Light, the RIV Method and the Timing Locking Pin all reference a projection on the Camshaft and assume the rest of the IP is timed correctly. There is no compensation for wear that would change the begin of Injection.

On the other Hand the Drip Method or any Impulse Method that clamps on to the Injection Hard Line only references the #1 Element.
It is sort of assumes that the Tappets, Rollers and Camshaft that move the other Elements are worn the same as the #1 and of course that may not be the case.

None of the Methods is perfect.

In the Manual you can check one of the other Elements to see if it drips the proper amount when it is supposed to. I am guessing you can only do one other Element because the degree markings do not go all the way around the Crank Damper. Otherwise it would be possible to check all of them.

Then there is the issue if #1 is OK and the others are not what do you do about it?