View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 11:52 AM
dieselarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fowler View Post
Tom,
Its a mixed bag....
The bad side is that since you didn't take it apart, it might be more difficult to reassemble.
The good side is that you see exactly what you have---no shiny paint over obvious old rust or bondo. If you have the space, and a large enough air compressor, I'd recommend using a small pressure sand blaster to remove the rust and paint---I call it "unpainting". You need to keep the pressure down, and blast at about a 45 degree angle, but the metal is thick enough that you are unlikely to distort it. Here, in Baltimore, the humidity is often so high that clean metal begins to turn brown within minutes of getting clean. And CLEAN is what sandblasting will give you. Sandblast, hit it with some pickle-ex or other treatment to preserve it until you can get primer on it.
It will be one very kool-looking truck.
Are you going original on the engine or going modern?
I am conflicted about the paint. I rather like the patina it currently has. One approach is to leave it alone cosmetically except to stabilize any rust. if I do that it will get fresh wheels and tires and more lights front and back for practical driving and more modern drivetrain and brakes if you can call a 617 turbo motor modern. I have a large black and white cowhide with hair on it. I am thinking of putting this on the seat. I may put in a 123 instrument cluster, and steering column too.
So from a distance it will look like a barn find but up close it will look ready to rock and roll.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.