View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 03:47 AM
Who's flying this thing ?

To start, --=--

What kind of engine, make of car, brand of carb, original like Rochester etc or aftermarket like Holley double pumper, etc, and how many barrels, like 2bbl, 4bbl, 3-deuces etc.

Knowing that would help on here.

Carb:

I would usually explain it to females, like this:

You know those pefume atomizers on the counters of perfume sections in Macy's, Nordstrom's, places like that?

Where you squeeze the rubber bulb on the bottle and a mixture of air and perfume gets spritzed out?

A carburetor works sort of the same way, except what gets spritzed out is a mixture of gasoline and air, and it's adjustable constantly so you can alter the mixture or air and fuel how you want to make it lean or rich, dependng on whether you need accelleration or fuel economy more at the moment..

The spark plug ignites in sequence to the other spark plugs when its spark explodes the mixture of fuel and gas and moves the pistons up and down to create power.

I then ask them to visualize a kitchen hand held manual egg beater to visualize the twisting power is transferred to the driving wheels to make the car work.

That *sometimes* gives them the general idea. \o/

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)

Last edited by Jim B.; 12-03-2012 at 04:02 AM.