View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 11:39 PM
I Want A 1935 500K!

B1 Piston leaking

Greetings gentlemen!

I'm now down to 1 MB, my '92 300CE (124.051). I stored it late last winter and have been driving my truck instead. While it was sitting, the transmission (722.359) began to leak.

This weekend, I decided to take the time to put it up on jack stands and look for the leak. After adding 2 quarts of fluid, cleaning the area with brake clean, I was able to see exactly where it was leaking. Also, after the transmission warmed up, it stopped leaking for a day. Now, it's back to the slow leak. About a teaspoon a day if I were to guess.

What I found is that it's leaking from the B1 Piston/O-Ring. I have perused many threads here (including Army's awesome post) and feel pretty confident that I can accomplish this task without removing the transmission, though I may have to remove the exhaust system and lower the transmission some.

Has anyone ever had "just" this o-ring leak? The transmission is tight and clean everywhere else. If I do have to remove it, I might consider looking into the really sloooow reverse engagement problem, unless that too can be corrected from the outside.

That all said to say - I'm looking for the O-Ring and a part number. And, to ask - where the best place is to purchase an o-ring? Oh, and I hope I don't have to buy a whole gasket/seal/o-ring kit.

Thanks! I welcome your thought/suggestions.
1990 300SL - 102kMi (salvaged parts available)
1986 300E - 230kMi (salvaged parts available)

Expert RV Generator Repair
Go To: MiGen Repair
When no one else can, I do!

We judge ourselves by our intent.
We judge others by their actions.