View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 02:19 PM

Mercedes W123 restoration

I am currently restoring a 1982 300TD Turbo Diesel, I bought it five years ago and it sat in my garage while I bought all of the parts I thought I'd need for the restoration.

A couple of months I started the work, I replaced all of the vacuum hoses (I had a few leaks) and connections, new radiator hoses and oil cooler lines, new water pump and thermostat as well as the voltage regulator on the alternator.
I adjusted the valves and replaced the all of the fuel lines,filters (pre filter and main filter), priming pump and I also replaced the sending unit (the fuel gauge wasn't working right), the screeen inside the tank as well as the return lines. I took out the fuel tank and cleaned it before reinstalling it.

The power steering was serviced and the filter was replaced, the battery tray was replaced (old one was rusted through). I cleaned the bango fittings on the alda and replaced the hard lines along with the fuel shut off valve.

Well two days ago I decided to start upt he old girl, she sounded like crap! She sounded better when i brought her home. I rechecked the clearance on the valves, it's good. I found a few leaks on the fuel return lines that probably developed from sitting so long, I replaced those as well this helped a bit. She's idling really rough and theres smoke coming from the engine compartment not so much from the exhaust.

I am going to go home tonight and test the glow plugs to make sure they're working. I'm also seeing some fuel around the injectors, could they be leaking? Does anyone have any ideas how to make my girl run better?