View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCedesBenz View Post
To Everyone: Thanks for picking up right where we left off. I really hope this can get somewhere.
To Diesel911: Unfortunately, I can't answer your questions with 100% confidence in my memory. I KNOW for a fact when I pumped the hand primer fuel came out of the return line. When cranking, I am ALMOST sure fuel came out of the return line, but I was distracted by my hopes that I would see signs of life. I will double check this.

I do certainly have an MW type Fuel Injector Pump. I would like to do what you said, but I want to be absolutely sure I am understanding you correctly. I am very nervous about tinkering with any part of the IP (as I have hear a few horror stories). I want to make sure I understand exactly what you mean. I tried to look it up, but if you could describe what you mean by "Delivery Valve", "Delivery Valve Holder", "Delivery Valve Holder Spring", and "Center Valve" it would really help. I don't mean to be a pain, but I want to make sure I do the right thing. In short, is the "Number One Delivery Valve" the object I circled in green on the attached picture? I had actually tried to take this off based on some earlier advise, but got scared when I tried with *some* force and it didn't seem to budge. If this is in fact what I want to take off please let me know. I also put red X marks over the bolts I am under the impression I don't want to touch. I did try to research the meaning of everything and will continue to do so, but if you can confirm that I want to take off the green circled thing (which I believe is the Number One Delivery Valve) that would be great. Also, Number One does refer to the front most one right (the one I circled)?

I'm sorry that I don't know the names of everything, I will try to work at it, but while I am ignorant, please try to help me learn. Any information on what these parts are and what I want to touch and shouldn't touch would be great. I won't try to hide that I am afraid to touch anything near the IP, but if I am confident what I will do won't make more problems, I'll go in.
OK in your pic stay away from the 13mm Nuts like the ones with the Red Xs.

In My pic
1= The Delivery Valve Holder (in the Mercedes Manual sometimes reffered to as Pipes)

2= The Delivery Valve Spring

3and 4 are the Delivery Valve Assembly (a mated pair, I think the Mercedes Manual calls them Pressure Valves) and the Center Valve only goes into one side of the cylindrical Valve Body. The circular groove around the outer Valve Body is there to help reference what end goes which direction; you have to note that when you remove it.

5- Is the Copper Crush Washer.

If you remove 1 through 5 you should be able to look and see if the Plunger goes up and down.

Also note that when you Drip Time the Fuel Injection Pump you remove 1, 2 and 3 and reinstall 1.
After you are done drip timing you remove 1, 4 and 5. You put a new 5 in and replace 4,3,2 and 1 and Torque 1 to the proper spec.
So removing the above mentioned items is safe as long as you do not drop and lose something.

The above applies to MW Fuel Injection Pumps only.

Any time the Delivery Valve Holders are to be removed you need to clean the dirt out of the threads and the top of the Pump so none gets inside.
Attached Thumbnails
IP Issue? (please help)-delivery-valve-parts-dec-12.jpg