View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 11:39 PM

Not weird at all, I have often felt the same way about a few cars. My Dad never owned a Mercedes, I was the pathfinder of the family in that regard. But he test drove a 190D back in around 1960. One thing the salesman told him is that they wernt a rich mans car, just the opposite. A car you could run a lifetime. Deep down he said he knew the guy was telling the truth, but just couldnt find the faith to buy into it.

I pulled a 79 300D out of a guys back yard back in 1991 and resurrected it, and my Dad fell in love with it. Through good times and bad, this in the 9th one ive owned, and only the third gas burner. We bought an 88 300E back in 97, and it was easily the nicest cars ive ever owned, as well as the nicest Mercedes ive ever owned, second to a 300SD and a 380SL. The SL was nice, but the seats sucked and it sucked gas. The SD was nice, but it was worn out and I just ran out of money and patience to keep feeding it. I couldnt figure out why a car with only 145K needed so much, until I read a car fax and realized it probably had over 700K on it.

Times arent as good for us today as yesterday, but I still dont feel like driving junk. Rich or poor, its hard to beat a good running Benz. If this only needs a piston and I can get it going cheap, were going to drive the wheels off it.