View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 10:00 PM

Location: Out in the Boonies of Hot, Dry, Dusty, Windy Nevada
It really does make a difference on the mpg by the way we each drive our cars. ever pay attention how people drive from one red light to the next? It is usually hammer down right until the last moment, and then they lay on the binders. light turns green, and they launch it to the next one.

I try to look down the road as to what is coming up so Iam not cought off guard. I see the light has turned and I take my foot off the throttle and slow down and try to time it so when the light turns green, I can keep rolling and slowly pick my speed back up. while the rest of the pack is racing off to the next red light.

Of course I usually PO the guy behind me. and I get all kind of facial expressions and hand signals, and usually they race around me to beat me to the light.

The same in freeway driving in heavy stop and go traffic. I try to stay in 1st gear and idle along with 3 -4 car lengths between me and the guy in front. sure some DB will fill it in and I back off a little to compinsate. this is my buffer zone, and iam watching the rear mirror. everyone is fighting for position, and by the time we get 2 miles down the road, the guy is 2 cars in front, or 10 cars back in the other lane depending how many time he switched lanes stratigizing.

when you have to stop, and then get 3000 lbs moving again vs just keep her rolling, takes more fuel.

When I do have to stop, then get going again, I get her rolling in 1st gear then shift to 2nd, the guy behind me launches it then has to nose dive on the brakes as Iam shifting to 2nd, (to stay out of my trunk) then I hit 3rd and pull away from him as I see more hand signals etc.... usually in town we never get out of 3rd.

Last may we took a trip to Portland, Or. for the grand daughters 3rd BD. had the car loaded down to the max. (1980 240D, 4-spd with a 3:58 Diff.) I had swapped the 17gal tank for a 21. drove about 100 miles to Lathrop and topped off the tank, filled to the tip of the neck.
Drove to Wilsonville, about 5 miles from Portland for the motel. we were pushing it 65 - 70 all the way, 634 miles, and got 33.56mpg via the spedo. this was on I-5 all the way. (forgot to turn on the GPS)

The trip back home, I tried to keep the speed 55 - 60 all the way back to lathrop. 38.74 via the GPS, and 39.34 via the spedo.

The 3:58 Diff is 3% higher geared compared to the 3:69 the 240`s come with. so I believe this really helped on the increase.

Charlie

1) Not much power
2) Even less power
3) Not nearly enough power!! 240D w/auto

Anyone that thinks a 240D is slow drives too fast.

80 240D Naturally Exasperated, 4-Spd 388k DD 150mph spedo 3:58 Diff

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works