View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 11:01 PM

Sold my W210 turbo diesel

I sold my W210 -- 1998 E300D turbo diesel to a friend.. That was a hell of a nice car. I drove it last year and put new bilstein oem shocks on it and put on a trailer hitch and it was an awesome ride. I drove it on a couple 1500 mile trips to the inlaws in florida. But my friend needed a family car and i just didn't need it as my 1998 jetta is still running great and just won't die.

I put on a simple single tank veg system on the W210 and blended my wvo with 10% diesel and 5% gasoline and added the power service anti gel and cetane boost. The car ran like a top. Our last trip thanksgiving was 1600 miles and i only spent 50.00 on fuel including the 15% blend of petrol and I didn't pack quite enough wvo to make it home.

From a wvo perspective, they optimized the 606 for combustion , just evolving the 617 , so that i think it is one of the best single tank wvo cars. My new veg way is to blend the fuel in a 55 gallon drum and pump mix and filter it repeatedly then pump in the car. The diesel and gasoline and powerservice helps get you a complete burn which is really your main problem when it comes to running wvo. Plus make sure your glow plugs work. All easy problems for us wrenchers. If you have good combustion right from the start (meaning good glow plugs) and your filters don't gel up, you are good. Also change your oil ever 5000 miles when running wvo single tank.

My 1998 jetta we got at 88,000 miles about 10 years ago. At 110,00 we put the wvo system -- an elsbett (greasenergy.com now) plus i added an extra heated tank in the trunk just for good measure and it was my wife's car and she liked the redundancy of the two tank. Well, now the car has 235,000 miles on it. my wife wrecked it in front but I put it back together with some body parts from a junker and i'm driving it. The tank in trunk got a hole in it so i'm going single tank now. I want to hit 300,000 miles and then get a W211. What is amazing to me is after all that wvo for the last 120,000 miles or so, the car fires right up like the day we got it every time. I want to see if same holds true when i hit 300,000 miles going single tank from now on with my fuel blend.

So what the heck was the point of this story? Oh yeah, I sold my w210 because i think the w211 is going to be the bomb car that I want like my 1998 jetta -- good fuel economy, sporty ride yet nice and roomy for long trips and runs great on wvo. What do you guys think of the W211? Anyone running grease in them? Is the W211 a bit sportier than the W210? Better body? It looks awesome inside but yet a bit smaller. But really cool. I'm trying to hustle up some money so i can buy one. Or i'm going to wait till they are cheaper in 5 years.

Cheers