View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 AM

Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM617YOTA View Post
Greetings all!

I've spent many an hour poring over the information here on your forums, and you all have saved me countless dollars and hours already. Thank you for your help already given.

I now need more input. I've searched your fine forums and have found nothing.

I have swapped an OM617 into a '90 Toyota pickup. It is now time to start for the first time. I've got the glow plugs pulled and have been cranking the engine over while purging the injector lines of air and such, while keeping an eye on the mechanical oil pressure gauge. Not even so much as a quiver, though I've cranked the engine for probably 2+ minutes combined. I pulled the oil filter and took a peek - a bit of oil in the bottom of the housing and that's it. I pulled the turbo oil supply line - not a drop coming out. Pulled the oil fill cap - not seeing anything being flung around the top of the motor. I filled the oil filter housing with oil(knowing it will drain back into the sump) and reinstalled filter+cover/rod. Cranked, no luck.

At this point, this oil issue is the only thing keeping me from reinstalling the glow plugs and firing her up. What should I do next?

Thanks all, truly appreciated.

Edit: The O-rings on the end of the rod that goes down the center of the oil filter are shot and will be replaced. Other posts show people having a slight improvement in hot idle oil pressure after replacing these O-rings. Is this my problem, letting the oil drain right back into the oil pan without going through the filter and into the oiling system?

Not in a huge hurry to start this engine with apparently zero oil flow.
Please take a look at this thread
Prestart oil prime of a long storage engine can save your bearings and bank account.

Prototype R&D/testing:
Thermal & Aerodynamic System Engineering (TASE) Senior vehicle instrumentation technician.
Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH).
Dynamometer.
Heat exchanger durability.
HV-A/C Climate Control.
Vehicle build.
Fleet Durability
Technical Quality Auditor.
Automotive Technical Writer

1985 300SD
1983 300D
1984 190D
2003 Volvo V70