View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 AM

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
The oil filter housing in the OM617 is a complicated beast it does a little bit more than just hold the filter in place.

There's a full description of the intended functionality in chapter 18-005 in the FSM.

A certain amount of oil should be held within the oil filter housing after the system has been operational - oil should be held in place by a non return / check valve at the input to the housing. The minimum level is depicted by the blue line in the picture below.

In practice I assume that this level might be higher due to capillary action / close proximity of the filter sides to the housing and a residual amount of oil contained within the filter.

In a simple "geometric" situation when a filter is not fitted; pouring oil directly into the filter housing:- some of the oil should pool in the bottom of the filter housing and not drain away into the engine. If this doesn't happen then I would suspect that the non return valve in the filter housing (shown at the big black arrow just above the number 4) is leaking. This would not be ideal as the whole filter housing could drain when the pump stops pumping - resulting in oil starvation at start up, as the pump has to pump the oil for longer to refill the housing before it gets to the parts other beers can not reach etc...

...the red arrows show the direction of the flow out of the filter housing after it has passed through either the fine or coarse part of the filter elements.

I hope this information helps.
The graphic helps.

The valves can become gummed and covered with sediment, holding them open.

I have been forced to remove the oil filter housing from many engines, because they do not hold/retain the required oil in this area: per design intent.

The valves are not a tight seal, and will leak down, when new it took several days, now I am will accept one hour (if the engine is primed).

Disassembly and cleaning is not difficult.
Removal of the oil filter housing from some engines involves serious creative cursing and blood.

Depending on circumstances, the housing can normally retain one quart + whats draining from the oil cooler lines.

Plan to make a mess and be happy if yours is easy.

The gasket between oil filter housing and engine block is an age related failure = this gasket MUST be replaced at this time, NEVER re-used.

Prototype R&D/testing:
Thermal & Aerodynamic System Engineering (TASE) Senior vehicle instrumentation technician.
Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH).
Dynamometer.
Heat exchanger durability.
HV-A/C Climate Control.
Vehicle build.
Fleet Durability
Technical Quality Auditor.
Automotive Technical Writer

1985 300SD
1983 300D
1984 190D
2003 Volvo V70