View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 02:35 PM

Ugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
I'm perfectly calm, thanks, and I read the post completely.

I was refuting the suggestion that the oil sending unit be removed to allow the galleries to be filled. As you know, getting the sending unit off the filter housing with the housing in place is effectively impossible. It seemed a bit ridiculous to me to remove the oil filter housing for that purpose.

Your post further confirms that such an approach would not work in any case. Clearly, you have utilized special equipment to be assured that the galleries are filled.
There is a misunderstanding.

I have no issue removing the sender unit, some from the top and some from under the vehicle = they all come off without special tools.

The 300D and earlier mechanical gauge engines:
I remove the oil pressure tube from the filter housing, pressurizing through the port.

W116 300SD, W126 300SD and later electrical oil sender is accessible for the exact same procedure.

Some of the OM60x engines are a bit more fun because the only easy access is from under the car.

Once you figure out the correct access thirty minutes should have everything ready.

Then all you need is a pressure port adapter and crush washer.
My most commonly used one is made from a new OM616/617 engine oil pan drain plug, center bored and tapped for 1/8 pipe + a crush washer.
You should check that your sensor thread matches the drain plug before spending time fabricating this adapter.

You check the thread by eye, and you can try screwing the sensor into the drain plug hole.

I have several different plumbing and pump rigs.
If you want a guage to watch, the minimum number is 7-9 psi, anything higher is good up to 44 psi.

Removing the oil filter housing is on some engines (in car) almost a blood ritual, and I was pointing out maintenance you want to do while it is out = so you do not need to remove it again for many years.

Prototype R&D/testing:
Thermal & Aerodynamic System Engineering (TASE) Senior vehicle instrumentation technician.
Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH).
Dynamometer.
Heat exchanger durability.
HV-A/C Climate Control.
Vehicle build.
Fleet Durability
Technical Quality Auditor.
Automotive Technical Writer

1985 300SD
1983 300D
1984 190D
2003 Volvo V70
2002 Honda Civic

https://www.boldegoist.com/

Last edited by whunter; 01-03-2013 at 08:46 PM.