View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkdude View Post
I dont know, I think reading a Prius forum, expecting those people to say anything bad about the cars is pretty crazy. From what ive read and heard, the cars arent that great or reliable but the owners will never admit it. Strange car, strange owners.
Actually, the Priuschat tech forum reminds me a little of the diesel forum here. There are warnings to watch out for inverter pump failures in the early models; instructions on transmission fluid change; information on system voltage; etc., etc. If you want to maintain the car yourself, you'll find all the info you need to keep it out of the service bay.

The Prius is a high-tech car, and it attracts a certain type of gearhead just like a certain group of DiYers appreciates the OM617. At the same time, the Prius gas engine is just a little four-banger like so many millions of others Toyota has made. It's easy to stay on top of. The cars aren't without their flaws, but overall they're well engineered. I just wish they laid out the engine bay so that I could get my ham fists into tight spaces a little more easily.

As for Honda, I've never been able to figure out their hybrid marketing strategy. They started out with the original, distinctive-looking Insight, then switched to putting hybrid drive trains in their standard models. Now they're back to the hybrid-only lines. They also hooked some cars up with manual transmissions when they have a perfectly good CVT that would produce better mileage. I guess it's all about giving the buyer a choice, but it's probably cost them sales to people who base their choice on the EPA sticker.