View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbolil View Post
I am trying to step away from this equation because I do most of my own maintenance work. I have had many diesel MB's and a couple where the tranny has failed, She has been great while I attempt to keep these cars on the road. All of our cars have at least 266K on them.
My wife drives 100 miles round trip in snow country. I thought it would be nice to have a 05-05 E320 cdi with stability control and some of the other creature comforts like the heating/cooling seats plus the other upgrade for the seats.
She likes the idea of driving something pretty new. I would like something that will protect her more and provide excellent fuel mileage.
Time out.......you've disclosed A LOT of new information since your first post.

If I had to drive the car 100 miles a day in snow/snow country, I'd be buying an AWD/FWD/ or 4X4 something. The last car I'd choose in 2013 to drive in snow/ice country is a RWD (right-rear-wheel-drive-MB-diesel car) - these are not cars that can be depended upon to get you somewhere in snow/ice country. BTDT

You also mention "all your cars have at least 266K on them." Cars with perhaps too many things wrong with them, when it comes down to it - none may necessarily be dependable. That gets old fast. One reason why many spouses put their foot down is demanding something new OR dependable that will start and operate properly. Many drivers of aged MBs are actually hobbyists, and have several of them on hand, because they can be picked-up on-the-cheap, and so something will start when they need to get somewhere.

A Ford Fusion with FWD would be a terrific choice in snow country.