View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Diesel Wannabe

Rough Running 2.6 190e

Hi all.

I need some help troubleshooting my rough running 190e, 2.6. In the past 15k miles it's gotten new spark plug wires, new plugs (correct copper core), new distributer, cap and rotor, new air filter, new fuel filter, new O2 sensor, and recently I replaced the coolant temp sensor and OVP. The car has 195k miles, it's a california spec car so it's got the x11 diagnostic port with LED. My exhaust recently developed a hole right before the muffler but my problems predate this. My compression is 180 to 185 across all cylinders, tested a few weeks ago.

Prior to replacing the coolant temp sensor I was having hard cold starts. I believe this is now resolved, my cold starts first thing in the morning are no problem, fires right up. Rarely do I have to crank very much. I adjusted the duty cycle to 50 after replacing the coolant temp sensor.

My problems persist, namely, rough idle in gear and poor fuel economy. I don't think the two things are related (but it's possible) because the poor fuel economy has been with me since I got the car two years ago. I get on average 230 miles to a tank. It's almost entirely smooth in park or N but it's rough in gear. Warm starts are very rough and it stalls sometimes when starting warm. The rough idle is kind of consistent in that it feels as though a cylinder is not firing or something, ie;

brr, brr, brr, shudder, brr, brr, brr, brr, brr, brr, brr, shudder, brr, brr, brr, shudder, etc

Once put in N or P however it's hardly noticeable. The latest development that I almost forgot is leaving a light with the engine warm (later in my morning commute) the engine bogs and won't accelerate, I have to nurse it a bit but once it revs up it's fine.

I am not a mechanic, I've owned this car for two years, it's my first car and I've endeavoured to do all the repairs myself. I've learned lots but I'm still very green. I'm tempted to replace the fuel injectors but I don't want to spend any more money on the car until I know what's wrong. Gas prices are high and my car is getting something like 16mpg. I could be driving a 560SEL for that kind of money!!! The valve cover is leaking as is the timing cover and I want to resolve those things as well. I'm considering resealing the valve cover, timing cover and while I'm in there, possible replacing the timing chain guide, cam seal, valve seals and guides and then the injectors. That's a lot of money however and I really want a 300TE so I'm loathe to spend more money on the 190e that I could be putting towards a TE ... if I ever find one that's not rusted.

Where do I start with the troubleshooting? I don't know anything about testing fuel pressure or injectors, I don't have the tools to do those things. Maybe they are cheap and a worthwhile investment, I'm open to suggestions. The other thing I would like to simply replace are the breather hoses going to the ICV but I'm not even sure how to get at them or what parts to order. I figure I should just replace them on principle. I would also like to test the EGR but I don't know how.

Thanks

Last edited by smp; 01-14-2013 at 10:27 AM.