View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 10:39 AM

I recieved the new set of Bosch glow plugs I ordered and got to work installing them. I removed the fuel lines and some of the vacuum lines to get better access, but even then it was still a tight fit on the 3rd and 5th glow plug.

The removal was pretty straight forward, I removed the lines connected to the plugs, the previous owner had all sorts of different nuts holding these lines, some chrome some black.... then I removed the glow plugs themselves. The #1 and #2 glow plugs were pretty clean, the #3 has some carbon buildup even though I had cleaned it not long ago. the #4 and #5 had quite a bit of carbon build up. Some of the plugs were autolite, others NKG and one didn't have a brand, I couldn't tell who the manufacturer was.

I reamed the chambers and cleaned as much carbon as I could with a small brass brush. The #3, #4, and #5 glow plugs went in pretty easily but the #1 and #2 plugs didn't want to go in. I slowly turned the engine via the power steering bolt, and little by little the glow plugs went in; I don't know why it worked, I just figured the piston was close to the plug and had created some pressure not allowing it to go in.

Once the glow plugs went in i took a look at the wiring harnesss to the plugs, it was brittle and cracked all over the place. I bought some new 10 gauge wire and copper connectors that could handle the power and fixed it, the last thing I need is a short or an engine fire. I put the harness back in place and bolted the connectors back on the glow plugs using new nuts I ordered from Mercedes Source.

I went to the start the engine... it didn't want to turn over, I had forgotten to prime the fuel system. Once the system was primed, the engine turned over on the first start. I noticed less smoke coming out of the exhaust and a smoother idle. I took it out for a drive on the high way, I noticed a faster smoother acceleration.

The engine still shakes a little....I'm starting to run out of ideas or things to fix to stop this problem. I did fix the air cleaner assembly, it was shaking like crazy... I tightened the bolts on the mounting bracket.