View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 AM
...like a shield of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulfiqar View Post
her concern was - WHO and WHY would someone get their jollies by dismantling a busted automatic transmission. - btw this was a JY trans from a gas W124 - it was flooded with water too.
Well that would be me!

Show her these links - I've done two different types now

722.118 Automatic transmission rebuild (Monster DIY)

and

722.303 in bits photo shoot

So that's the who.

The why? Well sometimes these things fail because of small inexpensive problems but you won't know if you don't take a look.

Treating these transmissions as a black box that should never be touched by a DIY mechanic isn't smart in my opinion.

However, I must concede that the fix it yourself approach can be a cause of consternation between man and wife. Most whinging women will only accept a solution that doesn't cost any time, money or effort and usually it mustn't make any mess when their other half is performing the task. Give the job to a professional, however, and they are perfectly happy to pay through the nose for a solution that might not even work...

...and clean up the mess left behind and give them an endless supply of coffee and praise - Oh to be a professional!!!!!

(Sorry for the rant - you might have noticed I'm going through a divorce at the moment! - see sig)
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!