View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 10:08 AM

Sorry folks. I had to share this with the VW folks in order to paint a picture of what some of us W210 W124 W123 W126 diesel owners are like.

"Okay folks.

Perhaps you need a bit more background about my mentality and tenacity when it comes to keeping a car running. This should probably read as the German Diesel Lovers Manifesto.

Firstly, I do enjoy the smell of Lubro-Moly Diesel Purge in the early morning hours. It quickens the senses and just slightly stings the eyes. The simple joy of an oil change only requiring 30 minutes and nearly 2 gallons of synthetic is piece of mind for another 8-12k miles. I can tell by the pitch and tempo of the klatta-klatta of the injection pump if it's happy and healthy or under-lubricated and sickly. I look at the slow warmup period of the oil-motor's coolant and corresponding delayed availability of cabin heat as a time of introspection and appreciation for the electrically heated seats (where available). I have no qualms about replacing all of the worn rubbery bits on suspensions, engines, steering and transmission links to keep the rattly/sloppy/leaky gremlins at bay for years to some. I appreciate that leaking diesel fuel is not to be looked at as a time for alarm, but a time for using said fuel as a cleaning solvent to remove many miles of road dust from the engine bay, transmission housing, etc. Sooty panels around the exhaust are our badge of honor, only to be washed off only for lofty presentation purposes. Broken bits and baubles will not deter our love for our car, so long as the wheels are turning and the low guttural growl of the torque-rich inline continues to provide an undercurrent of "go".

I am an engineer, and yes I have my own shop coveralls and specialized German automotive tools."

It's a car not a science experiment! Open the throttle!