View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 09:25 PM

Siren with a frog in her throat

Well, the Siren had a bit of a frog in her throat.

From a few feet away I could see that both driver' s side doors had been repainted, and not to the caliber of the rest of the car. It lacked the gloss and sheen of your original paint. Then I noticed that the drivers door was lighter in weight than the passenger side front door. Coming from a 1987 300 D, and a 1987 300 SDL, I'm used to the heavy solid thunk of the door. All that struck me as a bit strange, and I concluded that both driver's side doors had sustained damaged. Is it possible that someone is making an aftermarket door, given the difference in weight?

Then I expected the 350 SDL to be brisker than my 300 SDL, both from the higher torque, and from my memory of driving a 350 SD, albeit a lighter car. The 350 may have been a tad quicker but less than my memory of the SD. Also my SDL fields more solid, more coherent, more one thing. The 350 didn't have that feeling of onenes.

I like the upgraded interior, but for $7500, and given the potential issues with the engine, I really wanted a pristine car.