View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 03:42 AM
...like a shield of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysorenson View Post
I didn't know you couldn't do a live caster adjustment on a Merc, but then I never do it on any vehicle. I always do a caster sweep after a caster adjustment because I do not trust the machine to accurately infer caster for live adjustments. I say infer because it can't "see" caster like it does toe and camber. It measures the change in camber when you turn the wheels left and right to infer caster. Measuring caster during a live adjustment adds another dimension to be measured and I've verified that it's only a ballpark value.

As the alignment machines get easier to use, the knowledge required of the tech to get by can be reduced. Since it's not the machine that aligns your car, don't judge a shop by it's equipment. You can do badass alignments with less than $400 in equipment.
Wow I didn't realise that the machines also measure castor in the same way I do it "by hand".

I think I should get out more and go and see what these fancy machines actually do!
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!