View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 PM
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
Yeah you would need to look at the I^2t characteristic of the new metal combo. If that solder melts (phase change is a great way to remove heat) for example, it could allow excess current to flow longer.

Id almost be more inclined to put a 16-18ga jumper without insulation in there than a soldered fuse. Something that will indeed melt at overcurrent... THough Vdrop will likely be large.

Just get the right part...

If you can find a really HD fuse holder that uses a standard ATC fuse, you may be able to get away with that... But Id want the leads to be 10ga or heavier...
Heavier, definitely.
I'd want at least #8, preferably #6 to be able to handle an 80 amp maxi fuse.
remember, the circuit only has 80+ amps on it for a second or two, after that, the amperage drops to around 30 amps, so the fuse needs to be time delay, 80 amp max. I think a time delay 60 amp maxi fuse would work, as the strip fuse is likely designed to fail at a certain temp when the amps hold over 50 amps for x seconds... and a maxi fuse is designed to handle it's rated amps for a long time...
look at the size wire feeding the GP relay... it's nearly #6 in size.

I do know that when the 5cyl loops are upgraded to pencil, #10 works to feed them, but there are dangers with the first short section of that system.
a maxi fuse holder change, should be large enough to prevent heating of the supply wire, and not melt the relay, or the fuse holder...

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!