View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 07:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whunter View Post
The critical factor for me is any engine coolant in the oil, that kills more engines than soot ever will.
By the time you see coolant (milkshake) discolored oil, it is usually a major engine and injection pump rebuild.

You are correct, I have run considerably higher, typically, the suggested limit for soot on the old mechanical injection diesel engines was 3-5%.

On my personal vehicles 2% soot with 0W-40 synthetic oil is simply indicating oil change needed now.

At 9000 miles my worst engine is 1.5%, the others vary between 0.5% and 1% soot load.

Please note that:
* I tune to the lean side for durability/MPG.
* Due to serious low diesel cetane issues I add 4-6 ounces of two stroke oil in every tank of fuel.
* Due to serious random fuel quality issues Biobor and StarTron are required frequently (more than 4 times per year).

The filters are changed every 3000 miles, they are cheap and easy.
If during engine service I suspect contamination, the oil is changed regardless of miles.
This is all a matter of choice to me.

Thanks.

It really begs the question, that is not possible to answer without much more data, regarding the wear caused by soot. If 1% soot causes a specific level of wear, will the wear be double that amount with 2% soot?

It's a rhetorical question as I do not believe anyone has a good answer for it.

I agree completely about the coolant contamination in the oil. That's the kiss of death.