View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 PM

Unhappy Rough running 300sdl and smoke right after rebuild???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel911 View Post
Stick Thermometer into the Coolant when the temp is too high and see if it really is overheating or not.

I would still be looking for evidence of a Head Gasket Failure. Bubbles in the Coolant, Oil in the Coolant or the Coolant Hoses hard as if they were inflated several hours after the Engine has cooled down.

Replacing the Head Gasket does not rule out cracks and you did not mention if the precision flat surfaces were with in spec on the Head and the Cylinder Block.
This evening I went through the burping process again, doing it as recommended. I cleaned all terminals associated with temp gauge. I had the head professional reworked and checked and rechecked all clearances befpre replacing the head gasket. Everything checked out and looked really good. It ran great Sat. After working on it tonight, I let it run for about 40 minutes with ambient temps in the 60s. Took it for about a 10 mile drive. About a mile from home, it started running real rough and lots of white smoke out of tailpipe. I am having a bad flashback to Sept. when the head blew the first time. 4 months of work and I fear I may be back to square one. I feel physically sick. Is this by any great miracle something besides what I am fearing the most???
Thanks, Jeff