View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 12:31 AM

Since the Part of My Ignition Lock/Steering Colum Housing broke that turns the Ignition Switch I have tried to see If I could remove the rod inside that does the Locking (the broken one is out of the Car and the new one is on the way).

On the End opposite the part that slides into the Steering Colum there is a round corner sort of Square Plate than is crimped onto the Housing. I ground the Crimp off and tried to pull that Plate out just enough to peek inside. I had absolutely no luck Some where further down the Plate is attached to something.

Apparently the thing is pieced together like a Chinese Puzzle.

What I did find is that if you turn the Key so that the Rod is retracted all the way and you push in that Pin and used tape to hold the pin down that depressed Pin (The one you have to grind to remove the Steering Lock when the Tumbler is stuck) will keep the rod from extending.

I was looking into this for the same reason; I would like to disable the Steering Lock on the New Steering Colum Lock when it arrives.

I think if the Locking Rod is retracted and the Pin is depressed the Pin can be held in if the soft Metal around it is staked and the cavity is filled with JB Weld. But, I won't know until I try.
Right now I have the Pin taped down on mine and it does not seem to have a negative effect on any function of the Tumbler.
I don't know if that Pin needs to be extendid to line up the Steering Colum Lock or not. there is what looks like an alignment pin on the opposite side cast into the Metal that I hope takes care of the alignment.

If any one can tell me how to get the thing apart and remover the Locking Rod let Me know.