View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 06:37 AM

Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
I'm willing to consider evidence showing some properties of oil are improved with age. I'd love to see the actual SAE papers referenced previously. I also think it's fair to claim too frequent oil changes are costly and unnecessary if you can back it up with evidence. But I wonder if extrapolating the test results to claim that too frequent changes are harmful is correct. I'd be very interested in data showing an engine failed prematurely due to too frequent oil changes.

FWIW our fleet vehicles regularly see 300k plus miles on original engines, both diesel and gas, with 3k mile oil changes. It's the bodies, not the engines, that usually take them out of service. If the 3k mile oil drain intervals were detrimental I'd expect to see differences between the bulk of the fleet and our three '04 Sprinters which have drain intervals ranging from 7k to 10k miles depending on oil used.
The science has proven 3k mile oil drain intervals are not detrimental, just environmentally and economically wasteful.

I know many antique/classic vehicle owners still follow the three month calendar oil service = the engine may run 5-15 hours on each oil change, with a much needed rebuild every 10-15 years.
It is debatable whether the lack of running or the excessive oil change do more to cause the required rebuild.

Prototype R&D/testing:
Thermal & Aerodynamic System Engineering (TASE) Senior vehicle instrumentation technician.
Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH).
Dynamometer.
Heat exchanger durability.
HV-A/C Climate Control.
Vehicle build.
Fleet Durability
Technical Quality Auditor.
Automotive Technical Writer

1985 300SD
1983 300D
1984 190D
2003 Volvo V70