View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 01:19 PM

Location: Cicero, Hamilton County, Indiana about 30 miles north of downtown Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by w123love View Post
In an 85 you will need to do some custom pilot bearing work. The diameter in the crank is too large for a standard 240D pilot bearing. Usually requires a spacer or some honing to put a lager size in. '83 and older don't have this issue.
Well it is true the hole in the 85 crank is pretty small - tight as heck to put it mildly. I was facing the same problem on my 4 speed switch over. Well I called my friend who had a service shop on the west side of Phoenix. Did a heck of a lot of cltuch and transmission work. So I told him that the problem was about 35 thousands to small on the bore into the crank. He said "freeze it" and stick it in. Put it in a good cold deep freezer over night and tap it in quick when it is nice and cold. If the crank end is cold, warm it up a little with a heat gun, light or propane torch. Then he told me to measure the hole depth. Stick a long socket in the hole to find out how deep it is because you don't want to be beating on a frozen bearing when it can't go any further. So now you know how deep you have to send it, add the width of the bearing to your mark on the socket or extension so you can tell exactly when it bottoms out. And get a top quality bearing! It is not going to be fun to remove it. But the pilot bearing does very light duty and I don't think it will ever be replaced. It only operates as a bearing when your foot is on the clutch. At all other times it is a simple rotating mass.

1983 Mercedes W123 240D 4 Speed 285,000 on the road with a 617 turbo, beautiful butter yellow, license plate # 83 240D INDIANA

2003 Jaguar Type X, AWD. beautiful, good mileage,
Mom's car, but I won't let her drive it!