View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Conservative

Ex wife's debt charged off...

And I'm stuck paying 100% of the taxes??

A little background...2nd wife, who is currently incarcerated for arson and attempted murder for the house fire she set in 2007. When we divorced, she wanted to keep the car since it was hers. I agreed, and she was supposed to have had a new loan so my name was off of it...she didn't. After the divorce, she let the finance company come and take the car. I had sent the company a copy of the decree, and all was well...I thought.

This past spring, I started getting phone calls, because they were unable to locate my ex. I told them that she was currently incarcerated, and that they would have to contact her through her family, not me.

They just sent me a letter informing me that my name was still on the loan, and that they charged off the debt, informed the IRS, and that I am liable for the taxes on about $8500, since it's now considered income.

As much as I would love to fight this in court, and have it all go back to her, she's in jail and has no way to pay it, or my attorney fees.

I'm now screwed and have to pay the taxes, or lose my ass on lawyer bills that will go unpaid by her.

I'm not a happy camper...At least the crazy woman is in jail in another state, and has no idea of exactly where I live.

Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.