Thread: My Baja trip
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Renaissances Dude

My Baja trip

Oh man, what a trip, what a drive. Todos Santos is a sweet little town. Sort of an artsy ex-pat community and a sleepy little town. My friend’s house and estate is sweet. She’s planted trees and shrubs of various sorts and made a small green oasis. She operates a small nursery, selling trees to locals and expats.

The photos are a tad big - a tool I just learned of helps - if you press Ctrl - (Ctrl miuns) makes it all smaller, Ctrl + (no need to include shift key) makes it bigger. The first photo is of her new bodega, or store, where she plans to sell a variety of products – health items and organic gardening products. It served as my guest house for now. The second is just to the left of the bodega, showing some of her nursery and her carport. The rest are of the main house, of course. The Toyota RAV4 (’95) is a dandy little rig. Surprisingly fast for a four cylinder automatic and it gets 28 mpg highway. You really want a high clearance rig for the streets around town.

The highway was a trip – two lanes with no shoulder about 99% of the time. Kept me on my toes. Is a lot more scenic that way. More primitive looking. Most all of it recently repaved. Good thing as the several portions not yet repaved were pretty rough, and thankfully short. Traffic pretty light until we got about 100 miles south of the border. Often we’d pull over and it would be several minutes before another car went by, and this on the main highway. Quite a few semis and they all seemed pretty well driven. The scenery was unlike any I’d seen. Big cactus, palm trees an some trippy rock formations. I saw several huge mounds of rocks, standing in sharp contrast to the earthen clad hills nearby. It’s been a wet this year, a hurricane last fall – she said she’d never seen it so green. Quite green close to the border.

All in all, I want to drive it again. I’m starting to understand the ex-pat retiree thing a bit better. I may well do it. I’m seriously amping up my efforts to learn Spanish.

Last edited by cmac2012; 02-07-2013 at 02:34 PM.