View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
And I'm stuck paying 100% of the taxes??

A little background...2nd wife, who is currently incarcerated for arson and attempted murder for the house fire she set in 2007. When we divorced, she wanted to keep the car since it was hers. I agreed, and she was supposed to have had a new loan so my name was off of it...she didn't. After the divorce, she let the finance company come and take the car. I had sent the company a copy of the decree, and all was well...I thought.

This past spring, I started getting phone calls, because they were unable to locate my ex. I told them that she was currently incarcerated, and that they would have to contact her through her family, not me.

They just sent me a letter informing me that my name was still on the loan, and that they charged off the debt, informed the IRS, and that I am liable for the taxes on about $8500, since it's now considered income.

As much as I would love to fight this in court, and have it all go back to her, she's in jail and has no way to pay it, or my attorney fees.

I'm now screwed and have to pay the taxes, or lose my ass on lawyer bills that will go unpaid by her.

I'm not a happy camper...At least the crazy woman is in jail in another state, and has no idea of exactly where I live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
Yup. I worked so hard to pay off the debt that I kept after marrying her, and now this. I'm putting a call into a buddy of mine that is an attorney specializing in things like this. Maybe he might be able to help out and the dent in my credit report be less than what it could be.
I'm not an attorney, but it's obvious to me that you should be questioning your divorce attorney that handled your divorce about this developing situation.

Some observations after reading your story:

First of all, the divorce decree (i would think) spelled out; A) separation of assets, and B) the end date that you had any assets (property) jointly.

The divorce decree would have to include this separation of properties (assets). If not - I would think it's your divorce attorney's fault/liability for not including the unpaid for vehicle in the inventory of assets, and it's separation, as presented to the divorce court.

To me, it sounds like the IRS/finance company is either looking to you as fall-guy, and buffaloing you into paying, or, the IRS/finance company has a valid claim against you, because of your attorney's shoddy divorce settlement preparation. I think your guy/gal that handled your divorce may have dropped the ball. If so, they need to fix it.

I hope this might help your insight of timeline/perspective on the divorce proceedings. Take care.