View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrun View Post
Looks like an aircraft (or luggage cart) tug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX76513 View Post
Tugs
I've certainly seen them used for that, but there are dedicated tugs also. I've seen them used just as runabouts, and I want to say I've seen them with snowplow mounts as well. I'm just thinking that there must be a good reason to have them, something that justifies the added cost over a standard pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air&Road View Post
The reason you want one is that you have not hippity hopped down the road in one. In its modifed state it is meant for driving about 15 miles an hour over a very smooth tarmac. It will probably be almost uncontrollable on the highway, if it is even legal for the highway.

I do agree that they have a certain eye appeal though.
I'm not sure how they're set up suspensionwise. I know the military had some that looked similar, but were unsprung, those I'm sure were a bit rough. There's one around the corner from me, and it appears to be sprung normally, but I haven't crawled underneath to be sure. It does have "special equipment" plates, so that might tell me something about licensing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwrock View Post
That looks like it would be pretty nifty! Would be awesome for moving trailers in tight spaces!

And BTW, I like option number 4 on the poll. I haven't had one of those, and wouldn't know where to even look for one!
I'm sure I could find more about them, and even some for sale, probably even fanclubs, if I knew what they were called! Most of my searches reveal either normal (or otherwise airport specific) trucks, or the tractor type tugs. I'm not sure what these were called, or who made/modified them, so searching is getting me nowhere.

MV