View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 02:08 AM

I read the engine is made in Germany, with the car assembled in the U.S. The 4 cyl engine uses "common rail" injection, which keeps a steady very high pressure (10,000 psi?) on the fuel rail, with electronic fuel injectors. Because they can taper the opening of the valves, they avoid the sharp combustion bang caused by our spring poppet injectors and can therefore eliminate the pre-chamber which aids efficiency, along with a finer spray from the higher pressure. The drawback is much more complexity. The high-pressure fuel pump is mechanically driven and I expect very expensive, though our IP's are not cheap. Common-rail has been used for over a decade and is a main reason that big rigs pollute less today.

I also question the value. My son bought a Cruze Eco, on my recommendation. That gets the same 42 mpg for $4000 less. Diesel costs $0.30/gal more in CA. The technology is interesting, but I'm not sure the engine will last longer and I expect repairs are much more. Still, many people love the VW TDI diesel and pay a premium for it.