View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Who's flying this thing ?

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandYaghtLover View Post
Just a rant. My car had a small coolant leak at upper hose. I had unclamped it to install a new t-stat last summer. The hose, with its hard rubber, did not make a good seal. So I thought replacement would fix the slow leak. There is another, passenger side front intake to head. Ugh!

My trans is leaking fluid to the point where is flares on the 1-2 shift. Again, thought I found the leak and corrected it. I must have another. 1.25 quarts later its back in the right level. For now.

Front caliper appears to be leaking. Saw the brake fluid level was very, very low. Topped it off and its holding fine. I think the recent weather (snow) caused the ABS to run a lot more than normal. Must have pronounced the leak. Got new calipers in, both defective (broken/bent bleeder valves). New ones on order.

Oil is leaking from somewhere. Possible the oil pressure sensor or maybe the oil filter housing gasket. Either way, there is a tiny leak that needs to be fixed.

And dont get me started on the SLS.

I think the only thing NOT leaking is the power steering. It did at one time a little then stopped. I give it a week before it starts again.

I just hope it hold up til late spring, when its a little easier working on this stuff in the driveway versus the garage...
All these things can be addressed.

One at a time in order of importance.

First, the factory original radiators (Behr) were known for their unreinforced upper hose necks, from the fsactory.

A new radiator at this many miles/years ought to fix the problem, even though the Behr's are now made in Pakistan not Germany I believe. A Nissens (Denmark) is the other alternative good choice.

Looks like the brake fluid is okay, but don't forget the manufacturer calls for it to be changed every couple of years - in the back of the "maintenance booklet" is where the stamps for these changes go - along for coolant too!

The nitrogen SLS spheres eventually need replacment, (I have done them twice now at 196k, so it is a consumable item). Careful, as all the fluid can slop out onto the garage floor in the removal process.

Might be a good time for an ATF fluid change, and after it's done install a new pan gasket, so that leak will be done with and corrercted and no more flaring, and loss of ATF fluid will plague you.

Your guesses about the tiny leak from "somewhere" are good guesses, and may be the source, but also, the 560 motor has a tendency to "seep" a bit, around the back of the driver's side valve cover asrea too. Worth a look....

I think these older cars like this can run a few years for virtually nothing, needed, then all of a sudden a whole lot of issues crop up at once.

To me, based on ownership of one of them, for about 18 years, it just goes with the territory.

You should be fine, the car sounds like it is essentially a good runner, just with some catching up for you to do.

Good luck...

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)