View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4_Welder View Post
My experience with GM diesels is with the 6.2 in a Suburban. Very poorly designed engine. Too small of an oil capacity (6qts),
I currently have a Ford/IH 7.3IDI n/a swapped into my 69 F250, and it's a much better engine. Smoother, far more power, and easy to maintain. It also has a 10qt pan, so it's much easier on the oil. That Suburban was hard pressed to do 60 on the level empty, the F250 will do 70 pulling a 5,000lb trailer with room to spare.

I'd be very hesitant to try a new GM diesel product.
there in lies your first problem.every 6.2 or 6.5 i have had holds 8 qts of oil.and as for the IH 7.3 they are as is the cummins a medium duty engine,the 6.2 and 6.5 are lite duty.so to compare them is like comparing a fiat to a ferrari.BUT the one thing GM had that the other 2 didn't is they put diesels in half ton pickups.and this my friend is where the failure of the US big 3 comes into play.i DO NOT need 500H.P. in my pickup,i want milage.i need a pickup or suburban to haul my machines,which weigh about 350 lbs and take up most of the bed.and GM was the only one offering a diesel.my 92 to this day with 600,000 miles still gets over 25mpg.GM,ford and dodge all talk of small diesels for pickups but they have been talking about it for 10 yrs and still nothing so evidently they are still trying to win the H.P. war.as someone mentioned earlier.ask any prius owner why they bought one and the only answer you will here is"they get great milage"not they will smoke the tires for 3 blocks and pull a freight train.the first company that brings a half ton diesel back into the market will make a killing.