View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 10:11 AM

Sectioning the area or areas required out of a donar car is the best way to go. Far less time and with good practices a far superior repair. Much less time for labour sometimes.

You have to check the lip of the inner fender for integrity if the issue was created by rust initially. In your case because it was collision related you may have dodged a bullet.

Even if you employ a competant body guy taking the required sections to him as well as the car should save labour money.

There where weld in patch panels marketed for this series of cars. I do not know if they are still available. I have purchased them and they were not that expensive.

Cutting out patch panels from a donar car is still better as you have far more flexiability. Almost any store that sells auto paint will have a catalogue of available patch panels. Or you can look them up on the web. In fact just asking for body patch panels on the web should produce a list of suppliers. Remember though the original metal is thicker and cheaper with cut outs usually.

I do not know some of the american suppliers but for a general refferance you can look up cross canada auto parts.com or .ca. There should still be a website and catalogue there.

I am a great believer in doing things for ourselves. If you have a fair amount of experience and the tools required I will usually go for something. Without some past experience I would farm out any body work that is going to involve working on the rear quarter of a coupe design. Experience does count especially in areas like that. By the same token it does not have to be all that expensive.

Last edited by barry12345; 02-18-2013 at 10:27 AM.