View Single Post
Old 12-18-2002, 06:37 PM
Chevy Swap...

Hi all,
First, to justify the reason - my brother gave me a 1982 Mercedes 300d for doing some work for him. It wouldn't start, had excessive blow-by, and the price of a rebuilt or exchange engine was far higher than the value of the car. I had the 4.3L V6 sitting in my shop, having purchased it almost a year before for the princely sum of $125, complete with ECM and engine wiring harness. I am retired, and have more time than money. So, I made the swap, and am glad to have done so, as I now have the best of both worlds, in my opinion - a completely troublefree drive train, and a very well built, sturdy body with no rattles. The gearing on my car worked out to be exactly right, no adjustment needed for the speedo at all. The engine rpms are just right for the car's weight, also. The "engine management system", or ECM swaps with the engine, so there is no problem there. The Mercedes already had a GM AC compressor on it from the factory, so the lines were fine for the new compressor. As far as the rest of the electricals, there is no problem there either, as long as you have a degree in electronics, as I do. As Larry Bible mentioned in an earlier post, to do this sort of work, you really need to also have had a course in welding, and have a mig welder or tig welder, as well as a good shop. You must also have an in-depth knowledge of most all the systems in the vehicle/engine you are working on. If you don't see the benefits in this kind of swap, then it definetly isn't for you! If however you are a bit more broadminded and willing to consider the positives as well as the negatives, then go for it! Needless to say, this is not the first engine swap I have performed... I and my brother have done some very interesting things through the years. By the way, what I did was keep a MB from going to the scrap yard, where it otherwise would have gone. Also, the whole swap, including engine, transmission & everything else was well under 1K, closer to $900. That's why a Chevy engine is the way to go...

Richard Wooldridge
'82 300D/4.3L V6