View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 09:01 PM
ĦAy Jodido!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daw_two View Post
Hi JP --- It appears you are feeling better with all this stereo talk. Are you?

I'm currently putting together a stereo system......mainly to expose my daughters to "records" --- the vinyl kind with music on them. So, I've been searching eBay for a Direct Drive Turntable. Can you give me a few hints as to the brands that I should be going after or the ones I should stay away from? Ideally, I want a turntable that can play records with the dust cover DOWN --- remember the ones you couldn't? And if I could get 78 rpm on it, that would be a major bonus!!!

I already have an amp, small speakers, receiver, and cassette deck --- My plan is to gradually improve the system. I don't know the output on the amp just yet.....and the speakers are quite small; so those 2 things I'm on the search for, too ---- but not short term.

Thanks!!!
Keep an eye out for an AR (Acoustic Research) turntable. You might get lucky and find one somewhere. I have an AR-XA, their original turntable from the late 60s. I think I paid the unholy sum of a hundred bucks for it. It's still going strong and is silent as a tomb. No wow-flutter, rumble etc. The platter weighs four pounds and it has two motors, a startup motor and a run motor. It does NO tricks. No auto start, stop etc. Belts and replacement parts are still available and there is an active community of audiophiles who still crave them. I think the Ortofon cartridge I have on it must be 20 years old at least. God knows what you'd pay for one now. I recently saw replacement run motors selling for 250 bucks. Mine survived college and lots of years afterwards.
04 Honda Element AWD
1985 F150 XLT 4x4, 351W with 270k miles, hay hauler
1997 Suzuki Sidekick 4x4
1993 Toyota 4wd Pickup 226K and counting