View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 09:06 PM

New (to me) E420 w124!

Yes, I'm excited.

I decided it was time to update my dd.

The list of items needing attention on my 1987 300E had grown to the point where it was less expensive to update to a new(er) car, and I had a choice between a 400E, E420 (W124,1994) and an E420 (W210, 1997).

Mileage? All about the same, from 95,000 miles to 115,000 miles.

My emotional bond to the W124 reduced the options to the first two, and my emotional bond to my money made me decide on the E420, which was about $1500 less than the 400E.

So, after driving it the first day, I am left with 95 percent happiness, and 5 percent disappointment with issues that I missed during prebuy inspection. None of those issues would have dissuaded me from buying, but they might have made me negotiate just a smidgen harder, and I might have come away with a few dollars with which to address said disappointments.

Happiness points;

Much smoother power (of course) than my 300E, although I never had any complaints.

Quieter, although the thought of a more aggressive exhaust on that German V8 intrigues me.

In general, everything works. Windows, sunroof, blower, A/C. Not always a given on a 20 year old car. When I bought the 300E, the second day I owned it, the cruise control quit. (Maybe I should wait another day before being so happy?)

More power.

Feels very tight. Suspension is quiet, firm, and stable. Just like it should be.

Did I mention more power?

The leather interior just feels more luxurious than the albeit 'tough as nails' MB Tex.

I'm not naive enough to believe issues won't surface in the coming months, but I'm prepared to put some money into what seems like a really nice W124.

The 300E has been spoken for by my niece, who has shown her excellent discernment of automotive quality by loving the car.

We'll make DIY projects out of replacing the shocks, muffler. The Sunroof, which doesn't open, will have to wait. I loved that car, too. Something about an early 300E that just seems so true to what a simply excellent car should be.

Any comments or questions gladly accepted!
1999 Mazda Miata in the fun stable
1964 E-Type Jaguar Coupe- Sold
1970 E-Type Jaguar Coupe- Sold
1968 Corvair Monza Conv. with Turbo Transplant- Sold
1986 Merkur Xr4ti- abandoned
various mundane American autos

If I'd known then what I know now...

Hell, I'd probably still have done it anyways.