View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Conservative

Life of a water heater...

What is the average lifespan of a water heater?? The one we have was put in about 18 months before we moved in 2 years ago last month...That means it's only 3.5 years old.

My son went to the basement yesterday and came back up telling me that the floor was damp around the water tank, but there wasn't a stream. I went down there to look, and saw that it was wet, but nothing bad enough to panic...it could wait 'til today.

I filed a claim online with HSA, my home warranty company, at 7:30...20 minutes later a plumber called back and said they could replace it today, and said that my deductible was only $50. Cool...new water heater for $50, installed...I can afford that.

How long can I expect one of today's water heaters to last? I remember dad replacing one about 30 years ago, and my brother just replaced that one 6 months ago...it had a 29.5 year lifespan. I was impressed, and envy him on that!

I want to add that it's a 50 gallon Whirlpool gas water heater.

Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.