View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 PM
BB-Lou-KY

vacuum regulator adjustment

When I adjusted mine (first time) it was a bit confusing, not having done it before, but it's fairly simple. Pop off the little black rubber cap, (mine split, new one cost about $3.00) and there's a small metal "key" nestled in a plastic setting that looks like a castellated nut, like where you would usually find a cotter pin. Pull it out, careful, it moves easily, or at least mine did. A magnetic tip screwdriver was very helpful, in such a tight space. The advice I was given was turn it clockwise to firm up shifts, counter-clockwise to soften them up. Turn a few notches, keep track, don't go too much at once, 3-5 is enough. Cap it up, drive it and see what, if any difference you feel. Further adjustments based on that. Don't forget to check the kick down cable, from throttle linkage on top of engine. I found my plastic adjustment nut broken, so put in a spacer to closely match my other 300TD (which runs great), wired that test assembly in place, and it made the biggest improvement in how it runs and shifts. Now maybe someday I'll actually replace the cable. Good Luck! Enjoy the bonding time!
Bob