View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 09:14 PM
User title not in use

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Doner View Post
I estimate about 2 mm. I remember my 4 speed having the same issue as well, and it runs fine. I was hoping to root out any issues with this one before installing. I may just be installing it and hoping for the best. I did just get the bearing though thinking it was like the other style and accessible from the front of the transmission. It was pricey. the transmission guy says its about 4 hours to get it in. it all has to come apart to get at that bearing,according to him.
Its a roller ball bearing, no taper. It cost me over 2 Benjamins. I could just keep it for another time i guess. I have no specs on the amount of play allowed. the haynes manual says .01 mm but that may in and out play i have only up and down.
From my Technical Data Passenger Cars -- Edition January 1980 (the official Mercedes-Benz data book from that time):

For the 716.XXX trannies (4-speeds)
Quote:
End play of drive shaft between radial ball bearing and front housing cover: 0.00-0.05

End play of main shaft between radial ball bearing and holding ring: 0.00

End play of countershaft measured at front transmission housing cover: 0.07-0.15
Does any of this help you?

--Jooseppi
"Senior Luna, your sense of humor is still loco... but we love it, anyway." -rickymay ____ "Your sense of humor is still loco... " -MBeige ____ "Señor Luna, your sense of humor is quite järjetön" -Delibes

1982 300SD -- 211k, Texas car, tranny issues ____ 1979 240D 4-speed 234k -- turbo and tuned IP, third world taxi hot rod

2 Samuel 12:13: "David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” And Nathan said to David, “The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die."