View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 12:22 AM
"Unhinged Troll" - Jim B.

I believe the best examples of the 500E/E500 (Condition 1 - 2+ cars with 40,000 miles and below) have already rounded the depreciation curve and are just beginning to head back up. This is definitely a trend in Europe, where far fewer of these cars survived than in the US as a proportion of those sold in each region.

500Es/E500s that are actually SELLING for prices significantly above $25,000 in the US are few and far between, but it does happen for the nicest examples. $30-35K is about the ceiling in the US and I think those tracking actual sales (not asking prices) have only seen a couple or three cars sell in this price range in the past few years. Asking prices in the $25-35K range are fairly common, but actual, documented sales at these levels are quite rare. I would have to agree with Jim and GSXR 100% with regard to their comments on pricing, borne of close market observations.

It's too bad that all of the E500Es imported to the North American market were equipped so similarly, and that no special editions were sold (i.e. AMG models, E500 Limited models, etc.).

Cheers,
Gerry

P.S. I agree with the observations on E320 cabriolets. Selling prices for well-maintained, low-mileage examples in the best color combinations have never really gone much BELOW the $20K mark, and this is about what the market is for them now. Personally, I'd be VERY scared to buy an E320 cab below the $15K level. It would have a lot of deferred maintenance.