View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Conservative

Free home design CAD type software...Helping me remodle my kitchen.

I've been playing around with about 3 different free programs, and found this one is the best so far...Sweet Home 3D

Some of the options are top notch for a free program, while others still need some work. The fact that it's an open source program means that it's still evolving. I imagine the program you can pay for has more of the options I'd like to see.

Anyway, I was able to draw up the first floor with exact measurements, and place all furniture within an 1/8" of where it currently sits. I was interested in this because my mom isn't able to come up here for a visit, and has never been in my home. Through this, I'm able to show her how each room is connected to the other, and how everything flows. I was also able to show her just how small the kitchen is (10X10), and how poorly it was designed.

I originally wanted to turn the dining room into a kitchen, the kitchen into a first floor bathroom, and move the laundry room into it. I'm not going to be able to do that now, unless I pay a contractor for the work...and that would cost me over $10K, according to the estimates I got a few months ago. Having a fixed income, we decided against that.

The gas line that runs to the stove in the kitchen passes under the 'fridge, and logically speaking, that's where the stove should be. I have a portable dishwasher that is a perfect fit for where the stove is currently. I can move the 'fridge to the laundry room, and add a counter/cabinet where the dishwasher sits when not in use.

I have a plumber coming over this week to give me a cost to relocate where the gas line pops into the kitchen, so I can move the stove, as well as plumb the lines for the portable dishwasher. I can't imagine it costing too much, as it's simple work...drill a hole in the floor, run the gas line, which is right under the fridge and connect the stove, then cut a hole in the cabinet under the sink, connect the lines with a converter kit (they make them for this model), and push it into place.

What do you guys think?

Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.